Jump Start is a SIPTU College designed and delivered return-to-learn programme aimed at workers who intend returning to study and have not any formal qualifications.
The core units are: –
- Getting Started and Keeping Going – this is an introductory session providing an overview of the programme; the supports available; motivation and confidence building.
- Return to the Classroom – this unit will prepare participants to engage effectively and learn in a classroom setting. There is a focus on the key skills required; listening and note-taking.
- Independent Learning – participants in this unit will get the opportunity to experience independent learning which incorporates ‘reading for a purpose’; note making when reading; memory techniques and basic research methods, use of library and other resources.
- Writing it up – this unit will focus on essay and report writing from planning a project to writing well; referencing and plagiarism.
- Adding it up – feeling comfortable with numbers is key to this unit; basic mathematics; statistics; graphs; tables; the importance of accuracy.
- Talking it up – preparation of presentations and oral reports.
- IT Skills – two key skills are emphasised here, a) use of the internet; b) word processing
- Project – there is an end of programme assignment which all participants must submit and which will reflect the learning from each of the units outlined above.
- Supports for participants will include individual access to a tutor; an on-line support site and a course workbook.